October 05, 2012

I am thankful.

Okay, I figure it's time for me to post a few more things I'm thankful for. Let's be honest, being a rut sitting whiner gets old pretty quick.

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Loaf. Yes I made it last night, and I attempted to use xylitol instead of sugar, whole wheat flour instead of white, and apple sauce instead of oil. I didn't actually have enough xylitol so I ended up doing 1 cup xylitol and 1/2 cup of sugar. It made the end result less sweet than last time, which I was going for. I had just enough whole wheat flour to get the job done, although I think half brown and half white is the thing to do next time. It's a little... wheaty. The apple sauce was a no brainer substitution that I did last time I made the recipe. I don't think I put quite enough in though so I was being quite the free spirit with the measuring cups and totally forgot to put in 3/4 cup not 1/2. But I think my liberal tendencies bridged the gap a little.

The end result was not as attractive as last time and one of the loafs had some issues coming out of the pan, but it's still good. It actually tastes healthier than before, and you can rest assured that I will be devouring it all day. Because it's good and I'm thankful for its yummy pumpkin-ness.

Iron Pills. No seriously. Not only are they an excuse to eat yummy vitamin C every day I think they're actually working. I'm not sure how else to explain the reason I have been fully functioning on six and a half hours of sleep a night this week when I didn't sleep at all well the last two nights we were away. Also, you can actually visibly see when your body is absorbing them because they have apparent effects. And by that I mean they turn your poop black. Yeah, I went there.

Silver Lining. When my mom broke her femur a month ago, she couldn't see the silver lining. She knew that God had to have something in mind for doing this to her again, but she really couldn't understand. Well, yesterday, exactly a month to the day of her accident, He showed us.

Mom and I don't go to the same church, and she's been going to hers for five years but never really found a big place for herself there. Earlier this week the pastor emailed her to ask if she would do the announcements for the month of October. Mom told me that generally this something couples do. Well, she emailed him to politely decline and informed him of her situation of not being able to get out there. He hadn't known and asked if he could put it on their prayer chain. Right away calls started coming in from people at the church, showing concern and wanting to come for visits, people that Mom had never really spent much time with before.

Break your hip, make some friends, gain some fellowship. Silver lining.

Mini Holidays. Last week Karl and I went to rural Alberta for some much needed time off, and this weekend Mom and I are going to do a little shopping and concerting in the states over her birthday. I know that she could use the break from being stuck at home most of the time, and I'm looking forward to spending time (and money) with her away from home. Neither of us have ever done this, and I think it's going to be a lot of fun. The nice thing is, we have a concert tomorrow night to check out if the shopping turns out to be a dud. All I can say is, bring on the American sales!

There's more, there's always more, but I'll leave it at that for now. I'll even go so far as to ask a question of you: Anything you're particularly thankful for today?


UPDATE: For the record, I didn't even register that it's Thanksgiving this weekend when I wrote this post. I don't need a specific day to be thankful for things, especially things like Canadian pilgrims making it to the new world a whole month earlier than their American counterparts.

No comments:

 photo comments_zps824b3be6.jpg