October 26, 2015

You change the diapers, I'll use the power tools.

There's ice fog out there this morning. Not that I needed one, but I now have the perfect excuse to not leave the house today. After a year and a half out here, I've learned that ice fog is not to be trifled with. Aside from a full on dumping of snow, it's my least favourite driving condition. Ice on the window, ice on the roads, ice on the everything. No thanks. It's the first sign of winter we've had this year aside from a couple frosty mornings, though, so I'm not complaining. Not to jinx it or anything, but they're predicting a warmer winter this year. Praise the Lord.

We were supposed to get our fireplace installed last Monday. Then maybe Tuesday. Then maybe Thursday or Friday. Then at 9 a.m. today. They got here at almost 10. Good thing I'm easy going and the baby got me out of bed before my alarm did.

Before Parker was born, I thought he'd sleep in our room until he was six weeks old, then we'd put him in his crib at night. It seems like a lot of people think they'll do that then the baby's either in its own room on night three or stays with its parents until it can drive. We are officially 15+ weeks past that six week thing and he's still sleeping in our room. I think tonight might be the night, though, and it's giving me anxiety just thinking about it.

It's a big transition, and I'm already trying to figure out how it's going to work. Do I sleep with the video monitor on next to my head all night? Do I turn the volume up? Do I put it on noise activated? Do I just sleep with our bedroom door open and hope that I hear everything over any potential snoring? Do I put up the mesh crib bumpers because I won't be there to move him away from the rails when he inevitably wiggles his way over to them? Will Parker wake up crying because I'm not there to pop his soother in five times a night? Will I actually sleep better? WILL WE SURVIVE?

Anyway. One of the nice things about having workers around the house is that it's the perfect excuse to laze around. Why would I vacuum or do laundry with them kicking around? No, I should probably watch Gilmore Girls and catch up on my knitting. That blanket isn't going to knit itself! The to-do list can wait.

It seems like the coffee won't drink itself either. Time to step up, Anna!

Since giving up my gym membership last month I've been a little worried about what I'm going to do in the winter aside from sitting on the couch. Then it hit me: snow shovelling. And if I get really bored I'll make a snow mountain to throw the neighbourhood children/myself into. Between that and my 100 lb baby I am going to look so good in a tank top next summer.

The new fireplace install guy just asked me what they were doing down there. Pray for us.

4 comments:

  1. Shoveling snow is a good workout!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's pouring here today, and I'm also using it as an excuse to stay home. And drink coffee. There will probably be knitting and Gilmore Girls, too. I am so impressed you can sleep with Parker in your room. Gracie was just too noisy, so we exiled her to her room at less than a week old. We are terrible parents. You can do this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We don't have room for a baby in our bedroom - problem solved for us, ha! Which is fine with me - I'm MUCH too light of a sleeper and between a husband who breathes loud and a baby who makes...baby noises...I'd never get sleep. Ever. So I'm fine with the crib on night one and if I need to sleep on the couch in that room, I will.

    I want a baby ASAP so I can stay home always. I was out sick from work the last two days and if it weren't for the "sick" part I would have been in heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ellie slept in our room for the first 4 months. The first few nights of her in her own room were not so sleep-filled (on my end). The monitor kept keeping me up and I probably went in there to check her breathing WAY too many times. I tried the noise activation mode on ours and each time she made a noise it would pop on and wake me up. Now I just keep it on. 2 years and going strong! You can do it and I hope the first few nights go/went well for you! :)

    ReplyDelete

 photo comments_zps824b3be6.jpg