December 16, 2012

Super Powered.

Today I made 118 cookies. It was a lot of cookies. They involved 2 cups of chocolate chips and 2 cups of Reese's Pieces. They're my gift this Christmas. I'm kind of excited.

This afternoon all I thought I had six hours to myself, all to myself. I was going to tidy, clean the potty, make cookies, wrap gifts, and do a little craftiness, hopefully even fitting in some knitting. I can't remember the last time I had that much time to myself, just to get things done and enjoy some time to myself. It more or less happened, except for a mid afternoon hiccup that really put a wrench in things. I was not impressed, but eventually got over it.

As a result, I think I need to be more gracious and loving. Scratch that, I know I need to be more gracious and loving. It's always the hardest thing, isn't it?

Moving on.

Yesterday I did my second 25 minute run. It went really well. The one before I stopped a minute early because my ankle had shooting pains, and I figured I need to respect my body enough to not break it. Especially since I have no other way of getting to work. I decided that new shoes were on the agenda, but after yesterday's run everything was a-okay. Shoes are now on my "when I find time" list. It's a pretty big list, and a lot of things get lost on it.

So while I was running yesterday I realized that I have an intense sense of smell. Seriously. (No, I'm not pregnant, but thanks for stopping by.) As I ran (jogged) down the street I could smell dinner, laundry, dinner, garbage, dog poop... It was crazy. The smells were also making me a little nauseous. Because apparently when I'm running I do not want to think about anything edible or not. I just want to run.

I think the reason my nose is becoming so in tune with the smells around me is because I'm no longer focussing on not dying as I run. Don't get me wrong, there are times when death is imminent and I just have to remind myself that it'll all be over soon, but it's starting to get to the point where I find it laughable that 5 minutes of running used to be difficult. Five minutes? I run five times that now. Five minutes is kid stuff!

I'm just going to come out and say it, though, that I think my super powers are starting to really manifest themselves. You might recall that a few months ago I found out that I'm not only low on iron, I pretty much have no iron in my body. My doctor was impressed by my ability to function without dying of exhaustion. I'm pretty sure that constitutes a super power. Because, like I said before, if I'm going to lack something at least it's not super powers. Iron? Psh, there's pills for that. Super powers? You couldn't pay me enough to eat a radioactive pill with the promise of super powers. I feel like they usually come with a pretty high price. I've seen The Amazing Spider Man  three times this year, so I know what I'm talking about.

So my iron-deficiency super power/coping mechanisms and my incredible sense of smell are my current super powers. Who know what will happen next? My amazing ability to dominate board games? Who knows. I already have that power, but do you think it's a recognizable super trait? Hard to say.

Alright, my late night blogging has taken me way past my bed time. I'm hoping to get another post up tomorrow (today) but, alas, my super powers do not include an eye into the future. For that I'm actually grateful. I'd never get out of bed, otherwise.

Stay safe out there.

1 comment:

  1. I'm impressed by all your cookie baking! I think that's on the agenda for me next weekend.

    The ankle pains. That's what keeps me from running farther. I'm at about an 18-20 minute run and I know I can do more, but that's about when my ankles start screaming. I'm also desperately in the market for new running shoes.

    I used to be crazy anemic with practically no iron in my body. I have no idea where I am now, but I think I'm doing better. I had to take iron supplements and they made me incredibly sick.

    ReplyDelete

 photo comments_zps824b3be6.jpg