September 13, 2012

Gratefully.

Yesterday I found myself deeply grateful for hot showers and my own car. Today I'm thankful for modern medicine. In particular, I'm thankful for a little pill my doctor gave me called Frova. It saved me from an afternoon of nausea, pain, and hibernation yesterday. I am also thankful for the good work that ibuprofen and acetaminophen are doing right now to dull the pain in my head.

I won't go into any details about why Frova is my new favourite migraine drug because you probably don't care, but just know that, unlike Axert, it stopped major brain pain, stopped any nausea, and negated any need to actually take pain killers until right before bed. I am so thankful for the fact that I did not need to take a handful of pills just to feel remotely human.

I am also thankful that we live in a society where a trip to the doctor costs me nothing, and the only thing my mom will have to pay for after spending four nights in the hospital and getting surgery on her femur is the ambulance ride there. I am grateful for all the people who walk dogs, bring teas, pizzas, and ginger ale, and offer whatever help they can.

I'm trying to find the joy and goodness that comes out of sickness and brokenness. I know it's there, and I'm sure there are things to be learned from the trials in our lives. Or our brains. Either way, you've just to carry on. I am definitely looking forward to tonight's hot shower, though.

No comments:

 photo comments_zps824b3be6.jpg