May 11, 2012

Balanced.

Since graduation I have been trying to find a happy place for myself in the big out of school world. One thing I have always know that I want in my life is to be happy. It isn't always the easiest thing to strive for and I don't always get there. I think happiness comes from finding a balance between your wants and your needs and your responsibilities. This isn't really anything I've thought deeply about it's just something I know deep down to be true.

Life without joy is really nothing. As much as I didn't want to get out of bed this morning and come to work for another long and boring day I know it's not so bad. I may be bored, but at least I'm not abused. The 8 1/2 hour day may feel long but it's certainly shorter than the 7 hour days I used to work. I don't even need to mention the good deal I get with my salary. Work may not be the most fun or challenging place for me right now, but I'm happy with it. Eventually I'll move on to something busier and more challenging but for the moment I'm happy with the situation I'm in. Especially when I look at where I've come from to get here. Dark times, friends, dark times.

I take joy in the smallest things. If you know me well, you know this is true. I can get excited about a clean bath tub, homemade bread, games nights, a really good deal, charitable giving. I'm just like that. I think that in order to really enjoy life you need to be able to be happy with normal things. I'm a pretty simple person. My husband doesn't always understand my enthusiasm.

When I think about the future I never think much farther than the days ahead and I usually find something worth getting excited about. Tomorrow, for instance. Breakfast, yoga, shopping, margaritas on the porch in the sun, all with good friends. And Sunday is Mothers' Day and an after church brunch with the moms.

I think it's important to enjoy the little things instead of always looking forward to the big things because, really, there aren't that many big things to look forward to. I think it's important to find joy in what you can in life otherwise it really isn't worth it, is it?

No comments:

 photo comments_zps824b3be6.jpg