May 17, 2020

One perfect moment.

The Sidney waterfront has seen a lot from me. I've worked a lot out on its paths in the last year.

I went to Starbucks today, an ode to that former life. I detoured to sit by the pier before making my necessary stops. As I sat down, a man with a banjo took the bench behind me and started to play.

It was a rainy morning, but the afternoon turned glorious. I was sitting across from a hedge with fragrant purple flowers, populated by big, juicy bumblebees. I could see a sliver of the water, islands and boats over the hedges.

On a typical spring weekend the path would be busy with foot traffic and tourists, but today it was much slower.

Looking for a few minutes of peace, I had my coffee and podcast playing, but I turned it off after a couple minutes.

Sitting there, the sun warming my neck, the smell of the flowers, banjo music in the background, it felt like a significant moment, one I didn't want to forget.

The Sidney waterfront and I have worked through a lot in our time together. I've cried more than once on my runs or walks with it. I've been feeling the stress and anxiety creeping their way back into me, in my mood, my jaw, my shoulders.

Today I felt the tears coming again, but it was different.

Sometimes the nudge to turn left instead of right turns into a perfect moment.

No comments:

 photo comments_zps824b3be6.jpg