November 08, 2012

And... go.

Today marks the one year anniversary of me walking out in a haze of glory and poorly stifled tears from the worst job of my life. Let's all just take a moment and relish in this moment of having a backbone and realizing there is more to life than money. Think to yourself about the time you did something terrifying and ballsy (for lack of a better word, sorry) like telling your psychotic boss that you can't work for her because the three days a week you're in the office are ruining your four days off and that you can't treat people the way she does. Take a moment to enjoy that moment of saying no to your future career, choosing the uncertainty of unemployment over what you thought might be your dream job.

Breathe that moment in and savour it as long you can.

Even if leaving the phone throwing boss and job behind led to flipping burgers and supervising children for $10 an hour it was so worth it. There is nothing better in life than having a backbone and standing up for what you believe in. God's time isn't always your time, and sometimes you need to do the worst jobs imaginable to get where you're going in life. Can I get an amen?

I'm not saying I'm there yet, but I'm further on my way today than I was 367 days ago. I love working for a person that genuinely cares about people. I love not working in sales. I will never, ever work in sales. I'm talking the kind of cold calling, I know you don't want to talk to me, kind of sales. I would rather be poor and flipping burgers that harass people like that. I worked for a head hunter and I never want to be sneaky or feel forced to lie to people again.

Sometimes in life we need to take scary jumps off of cliffs to get farther. Sometimes those jumps put you further back than you ever imagined. Sometimes they lead to deep fryers and supervising play zones. Sometimes, though, they lead to salaries, benefits, new friends, and career advancement.

Today I'm savouring my jump off a cliff.

Are you with me?

3 comments:

  1. I totally feel you. I quit a job in January 2011 that I absolutely despised...ironically, my current job is almost the exact same thing, but with MUCCCH better bosses and coworkers. It's amazing how the environment can make all the difference!!

    And I feel you on sales. I did collections for almost a year and it. was. AWFUL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear ya!!!! A few years back I quit my job because of a horrendous boss who had only been there for 2 months and I had been there for 3 years. I was able to finally breath after that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen, girl! Amen. I quit the worst job of my life last November. It was a nightmare. I'm in another horrible job, but it feels like heaven compared to what I went through last year. Cheers to standing up for ourselves!

    ReplyDelete

 photo comments_zps824b3be6.jpg