January 30, 2012

Peanut butter and dreadlocks

I did some thinking this weekend about what's important and priorities and how I present myself to the world.

I get angry sometimes when things don't go my way. I was so upset and frustrated with the salon that cut my hair that I ended up in tears. I was being ridiculous. I wasn't bald, things were more or less even, and I had, indeed, gotten what I paid for. Were they professional and customer service oriented? No, not at all. Did I end up spending more money than intended to appease my hair vanity? Yes. Am I glad I did it? Yes. Do I feel like it was worthwhile? Probably not, really, in the grand scheme of things. It's just hair.

I had a dream last night that I was giving myself dreadlocks. Two haircuts in four days and all of a sudden I'm rubbing peanut butter in my hair to give myself dreads. I'm pretty sure my subconscious was telling me that I was absurd for freaking out about my hair. Not only that, I am also reasonably certain that peanut butter does not make good dreads.

It's pretty ridiculous the things that get us riled up in our day to day lives. I can go on rants about my hair, polyester pants, and the weather and really avoid looking into deeper problems that are going on. So what is important? What else is there that's going to get me so emotional that I'm going to sit and cry about it and then actively make it better because crying about it gets nothing done? Don't worry, I'm not going to get into it right now; I just thought I'd share what's on my mind. This weekend, though, is the smart people conference. I hope to come back next week fully motivated and self-righteous so you'd better look out. I might want to get into it then. You have been warned.

Speaking of self-righteousness, I don't want to brag or anything but I made my own London Fog in the office today. It was free! I brought some vanilla syrup from home that I'm keeping under my desk. I'm afraid that if I put it in the kitchen I'll never see it again. Naturally, my boss and his wife came back from lunch right as I was spiking my drink under my desk. You may draw your own conclusions; they sure did.

And, finally, I feel it is important to share that last week I re-potted my first ever plant. and it looks to be thriving, if a little lopsided. It's itty bitty, the kind of plant my parents used to buy as gifts. It might be a petunia. Either way, my brain thinks of it as Schubert and it is thriving on my desk. Before I showed up people thought it was dying. All the office plants are doing quite well thanks to my regular and diligent watering. It's a Christmas miracle.

No comments:

 photo comments_zps824b3be6.jpg